IRON MOUNTAIN - The first of three free walking tours of Iron Mountain's National Historic Central Commercial District will be conducted on Saturday, July 26, at 10 a.m., originating at the coffee kiosk at the Farmers' Market.
Local historian Bill Cummings will conduct these tours which will include information about historic structures still standing in the historic district, as well as anecdotes regarding the development of the area since Iron Mountain was founded in 1879.
Copies of early photographs showing street scenes from various eras will be shown to help participants visualize what downtown looked like in earlier times.
Iron Mountain’s Main Street program will conduct the first of three free walking tours of the city’s National Historic Central Commercial District on Saturday, July 26, originating at the Farmers’ Market coffee kiosk across from the Dickinson County Library at 10 a.m. This postcard view, dating from about 1915, shows most of the 300 block of South Stephenson Avenue and portions of the 400 block. The Chicago & North-Western Railway Depot on the west side of the street still stands, as do a number of the buildings on the east side. Local historian Bill Cummings will conduct these tours.
The first walking tour will encompass the area from the East Chapin Pit, where the first settlement was established, along the east side of South Stephenson Avenue to East Hughitt Street. Side streets along the way will also be explored.
The second walking tour, scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 30, will continue south from the Farmers' Market along South Stephenson Avenue and the contiguous side streets to the Dickinson County Court House and then begin coming north on Stephenson Avenue, touring side streets.
The third walking tour, scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 27, will continue from where the second tour ended, including portions of Stephenson Avenue, Carpenter Ave., Merritt Avenue and the contiguous side streets.