Residents of Iron Mountain and the surrounding area have a right to be proud of their community.
The community is historic and surrounded by natural beauty.
The best part, however, is the people. The success of this area can be directly attributed to the many area residents that want to help the community grow and prosper.
Although many are involved, there are still lots of local folks out there that have the time and willingness to volunteer for worthy projects, but they don't know which ones to they want to join.
The opportunities are many and varied, from schools to hospitals to churches to senior citizen centers. All of these are worthy of their time and efforts.
There is also another agency looking for help.
The Iron Mountain Downtown Development Authority/Main Street, which works to support economic development, historic preservation and the revitalization of the central business district, is looking for volunteer assistance.
"We are actively seeking out volunteers for a number of projects with the Iron Mountain Downtown Development Authority/Main Street," said DDA/MS Manager Jonathan Ringel.
"We usually have nice turnout for our events, but the DDA/MS is actively seeking volunteers to assist with the organization, and those interested in finding out more are welcome to attend the annual volunteer recognition party and learn more about the organization on Thursday, April 10 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Iron Mountain City Hall Council Chambers."
Some of the volunteer opportunities include:
- Watering downtown flowers and trees.
- Conducting intercept surveys with visitors at events.
- Volunteer at events including Out to Lunch, Italian Fest, Harvest on Hughitt and Downtown Christmas Walk.
- Maintaining the www.ironmountaindowntown.com website and Iron Mountain Main Street Facebook page.
- Going door-to-door to businesses in the district to hang posters, hand out newsletters or hand out surveys.
- Assist with improvements to the Magee Johnson & Joan Flood Park.
- Help organize and plan new promotional events and activities.
- Writing articles for Iron Mountain Newsletter.
- Volunteering for the Organization Committee which meets once per month and works to solicit volunteers, raise funds, promote the organization and compile the quarterly newsletter.
- Volunteering for the Promotion Committee which meets once per month and works to market the central business district and draw people into the community through promotional events and quality advertising.
- Volunteering for the Design Committee which meets once per month and works to promote the physical environment of the downtown through landscaping, traffic calming, facade grants and historic preservation.
- Volunteering for the Business Development Committee which meets once per month and helps to strengthen the existing economic assets and diversify the local economy through activities such as window display workshops, business assistance team and Young Professionals of the Upper Peninsula.
For more information, contact Iron Mountain Main Street at 774-8534, or visit www.ironmountaindowntown.com.