IRON MOUNTAIN - A long-range forecast from the National Weather Service calls for a warm and wet fall.
The Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a greater than climatological chance of above normal temperatures and above-normal precipitation in the western and central Upper Peninsula for the three-month period from October through December.
The forecast comes after the Iron Mountain-Kingsford area experienced a close-to-average summer, said Kevin Crupi, weather service meteorologist at Marquette.
Trees are beginning to change color as K’den Denny and Joaquin Peterson ride their bikes on Maple Street in Kingsford.
Theresa Proudfit/Daily News Photo
The mean temperature from June through August was 66.1 degrees, which was 0.1 degrees above normal. Precipitation over the three-month span totaled 11.1 inches, which was 0.91 inches above normal.
In August, temperatures at Iron Mountain-Kingsford averaged 66.8 degrees, which was 0.4 degrees above normal. Rainfall totaled 3.99 inches, which was 0.73 inches above normal.
The highest temperature was 93 degrees on Aug. 25 - a record for that date - and the lowest was 41 degrees on Aug. 14.
On Aug. 13, the high temperature was just 64 degrees, which tied a record from 1929.
Across the Upper Peninsula, the first half of the month was dominated by cool Canadian air masses. Warmer air from the south took hold in the second half.
"The result of the average of these two half extremes was a mean monthly temperature within a degree of normal," Crupi said.
Statistics for the Iron Mountain-Kingsford Wastewater Treatment Plant cooperative observer site are based on records that began in 1931. Any data listed from years before 1931 were taken at nearby sites. Normals used are for the period 1981 through 2010.
Some other temperature and precipitation observations across the Upper Peninsula in August:
- Ironwood, average temperature 64.1 degrees, precipitation 8.4 inches (5.03 inches above normal).
- Copper Harbor, average temperature 64.2 degrees, precipitation 1.06 inches.
- Baraga, average temperature 66.7 degrees, precipitation 1.95 inches.
- Big Bay, average temperature 66.5 degrees, precipitation 3.29 inches.
- Marquette, average temperature 67.7 degrees, precipitation 3.11 inches.
- Munising, average temperature 64.4 degrees, precipitation 2.6 inches.
- Newberry, average temperature 65 degrees, precipitation 3.81 inches.
- Iron River, average temperature 60.9 degrees, precipitation 4.27 inches.
- Norway, average temperature 66.5 degrees, precipitation 3.37 inches.
- Escanaba, average temperature 64.3 degrees, precipitation 2.65 inches.
- Garden Corners, average temperature 63.9 degrees, precipitation 3.68 inches
- Manistique, average temperature 63.9 degrees, precipitation 3.5. inches.
Jim Anderson's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.