KINGSFORD - Kingsford, with a strong performance in doubles, captured the Kingsford Invitational girls tennis tournament Saturday.
Coach Mark Shanks' Flivvers registered 18 points in turning back Negaunee and Westwood, 15 apiece; Iron Mountain, 11; Escanaba, 8, and Menominee 5.
"Our doubles strength won the tournament," Shanks said. "We were the steadiest team with two to three points in each division."
Kingsford won the Kingsford Invitational girls tennis tournament Saturday. The Flivvers, front, from left: Janay Walters, Santina Bianco, Hannah Tresedder and Katy Hicks. Back row: Coach Mark Shanks, Taylor Jacobson, Megan VanPembrook, Jaelyn Jennings, Anna Shanks, Kelsey Bennett, Kate Lamy, Ali VanRemortel and Abby Johnson.
Burt Angeli/The Daily News Photo
Kingsford No. 2 singles Janay Walters flips a shot over the net in Saturday’s tourney.
The Flivver coach anticipated Negaunee challenging for the title but was surprised by Westwood's doubles. The Patriots grabbed Nos. 3 and 4 doubles.
Kingsford's Anna Shanks-Kate Lamy prevailed at No. 1 doubles. The Flivvers gained runner-up honors at the other three - 2. Ali VanRemortel-Jaelyn Jennings; 3. Megan VanPembrook-Taylor Jacobson, and No. 4 Abby Johnson-Kelsey Bennett.
Flivvers' Santina Bianco copped No. 3 singles with a 6-3, 6-4 decision over Westwood's Courtney Beauchamp.
Iron Mountain's Emily Bugni and Katie Bugni took No. 2 doubles in three sets.
In singles, Mountaineers' Olivia Truscott claimed the No. 2 crown while Katie Brule fell in the finals to Negaunee's Allyson Carlson.
Kingsford hosts Marquette today and Iron Mountain travels to Gwinn Tuesday.
Kingsford Invitational tennis results follow:
STANDINGS - Kingsford 18, Negaunee and Westwood 15, Iron Mountain 11, Escanaba 8, Menominee 5.
1. Allyson Carlson, Neg, def. Katie Brule, IM, 4-6, 7-5, 10-5.
2. Olivia Truscott, IM, def. Abbi Kill, Neg, 5-7. 7-5, 11-9.
3. Santina Bianco, K, def. Courtney Beauchamp, WW, 6-3, 6-4.
4. Dana DeBretto, Neg, def. Emily LaFave, E, 6-0, 6-1.
1. Anna Shanks-Kate Lamy, K, def. Olivia Berquist-Shelby Gregoire, E, 6-1, 6-3.
2. Emily Bugni-Katie Bugni, IM, def. Ali VanRemortel-Jaelyn Jennings, K, 6-4, 5-7, 10-6.
3. Lacey Pietro-Olivia DeRocha, WW, def. Megan VanPembrook-Taylor Jacobson, K, 6-3, 6-3.
4. Emily Carlson-Jaime Ferris, WW, def. Abby Johnson-Kelsey Bennett, K, 6-4, 6-4.