This letter is for all of the women in Dickinson County.
In May, I attended my first meeting of the Dickinson County 100+ Women Who Care. We spent approximately one hour together and we raised over $17,000 for Northwoods AirLifeline with individual checks ranging from $25 to $100. You would not believe the amount of satisfaction you can gain by donating $25 to $100 and seeing an outcome of $17,000 coming from the group. It's incredible. Here's how it works:
First and foremost: all money stays in Dickinson County and benefits Dickinson County citizens.
2. The group is composed of teams which are made up of one to four members. Each team must commit to donating $100 per meeting. There are four meetings per year. That's $400 per team. If there are four team members, that's $100 per year per member. That's less than a trip to Green Bay for the day.
3. Any member can nominate a charity. No national charities will be considered. 100 percent of our contributions stay in our community and the donations are tax deductible.
4. Nominations are placed in a basket before the meeting and three nominations are drawn at random. The three nominators each have five minutes to present information on their charities and five minutes for questions and answers. And believe me, we ask questions.
5. The group votes by ballot with the understanding that the majority rules. There is one vote per $100 donation or team. So, if you are donating $100 by yourself, you have one vote. If you are part of a team of two, three, or four people, you will have to come to an agreement with each other because you share one vote. Each member agrees to donate to the chosen cause regardless of her personal view.
6. You will not be contacted by the charity other than to receive a receipt for your donation. Your name and personal information will be kept private at all times. You will not be required to do anything other than show up, vote, and write a check. You will not have to commit any extra time. This is a one hour gig, four times per year, and we raised $17,300 in that one hour.
In the first two meetings, we raised $14,000 for the Salvation Army and $15,875 for the First Presbyterian Church. That's a total of $47,175, which is a lot of money for a group of women to raise in three hours. All of that money is being put to good use right in Dickinson County. The amount of satisfaction and good feelings we walked away with was phenomenal.
I would like to ask all of the women in Dickinson County to join us. If you can make a team with three friends, you can have a nice little social hour four times per year and contribute $100 each year.
You will get a lot more than $100 worth of personal happiness and good feelings. This is a great way to do wonderful things for our community without very much effort. You do not have to be rich or have lots of free time to make a huge difference in our community.
Please consider joining us at our next meeting. It will be at the Pine Grove Country Club in Iron Mountain on Aug. 12, 2013. Registration is from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and the meeting is from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.