By JIM ANDERSON
KINGSFORD - Bids from four engineering firms will be reviewed for preliminary study of a storm sewer separation project in the Kingsford Heights area.
The proposed project runs west from Harding Avenue to Westwood Avenue and north from Woodward Avenue to South Park Street, covering about 160 acres, said Kingsford City Manager Tony Edlebeck.
The lowest bid came from Coleman Engineering Co. of Iron Mountain at $4,997. The city also received proposals from GEI Consultants of Iron River, U.P. Engineers & Architects of Iron Mountain and OHM of Hancock.
The city council on Monday referred the bids to Edlebeck and Public Works Superintendent Justin Wickman for analysis.
The project, which would separate sanitary sewers from storm sewers, is designed to prevent sewage backups into homes during unusually heavy downpours. Similar improvements have been made in the Breitung area of Kingsford, with the most recent project completed in 2010 at a construction cost of about $1.5 million.
In other action, the Kingsford council:
- Heard Edlebeck report that the city is looking into refinancing its public works facility bonds. With a reduction in interest rates, the potential savings totals about $280,000 over the 15 years of remaining payments.
- Accepted a recommendation from the personnel committee and Public Safety Director Tim Gussert to post a vacancy for a public safety sergeant. Filling the vacancy would mean a promotion within the department, but no additional staffing.
- Allocated $2,000 to support the Iron Mountain-Kingsford Community Schools summer recreation program.
- Noted that nominating petitions are now available for two four-year city council positions (the terms of council member Jeff Pearson and Mayor Dennis Baldinelli expire in December), with a filing deadline of May 14.
- Heard council member Brian Smeester report that, in light of recent embezzlement cases in northern Wisconsin and the village of Alpha, he inquired into Kingsford's safeguards and is satisfied that a good system is in place to prevent such crimes.
Jim Anderson's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.