By NIKKI YOUNK
IRON MOUNTAIN - Inmate healthcare services at the Dickinson County Jail will rise by 4.36 percent in 2013 to an annual total of $105,793.92.
The Dickinson County Board of Commissioners approved a contract to that effect with Colorado-based Correctional Healthcare Companies (CHC) during the board's regular meeting on Thursday.
In 2012, the county's contract with CHC cost $8,447.83 per month for an annual total of $101,373.96.
Board Chair Henry Wender noted that the increase for 2013 is based on the current consumer price index (CPI) for health care.
Commissioner Frank Smith said that he remembered when the county utilized the services of a nurse practitioner for inmates.
However, Dickinson County Sheriff Scott Celello informed Smith that regulations regarding inmate healthcare have changed in the past few years.
"Anyone who comes in needs a full physical examination within 14 days of incarceration," Celello explained. "We're also responsible for not only physical health, but mental health, too."
When questioned by Commissioner Ann Martin if he was pleased with the current handling of inmate health care, Celello said yes.
In other business, the board:
- Approved amendment number three to the 2012 budget. Dickinson County Controller Kay Pascoe said that the amendment authorizes several county departments, such as emergency services and the airport, to spend the extra revenue they received throughout the year from grants and donations.
- Set mileage reimbursement for 2013 at 39 cents per mile. Pascoe said that the state of Michigan's standard mileage rate is 39 cents per mile and the premium mileage rate is 55 cents per mile.
- Set meal reimbursement for 2013 at $7.25 for breakfast and lunch and $16.50 for dinner. These rates are the same as the 2012 rates.
- Authorized incoming Dickinson County Prosecutor Lisa Richards to attend a new prosecutor summit/midwinter conference in Traverse City, Mich. from Jan. 29 through Jan. 31. Richards said that the approximate cost for the trip is $275, which will go toward mileage.
- Approved an advertisement for the 2013 Kiwanis Ski Tournament at a cost of approximately $85.
- Appointed Dr. Martin Cristanelli as county medical examiner for a four-year term to expire on Dec. 31, 2016.
- Appointed Mario Santoni to the planning commission for the balance of a term to expire on Feb. 28, 2015.
- Heard public comment from Chuck Lantz of the Dickinson County Office of Veterans' Affairs and Dickinson County Treasurer Lorna Carey. Both thanked Commissioner Smith for his years of service to the county.
Nikki Younk's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.