Money is tight everywhere. State and federal government funding is being reduced.
Thankfully, there are local funds available to non-profit organizations and agencies.
The Dickinson Area Community Foundation has $31,570 available for field of interest program grants during their 2013 Grant Cycle, announced Tamara Juul, Executive Director of the Dickinson Area Community Foundation.
Grants are available to non-profit organizations and agencies located in or servicing people in the Dickinson County area, and surrounding Michigan and Wisconsin areas from the following funds:
- Civic Improvement Fund: $2,900. Funds available for collaborative project(s) to benefit or serve the Iron Mountain, Kingsford, and Breitung Township communities. Grant Committee includes a representative from each community.
- Community Health Fund: $470. Funds available for grants for youth and senior health related programs (i.e., programs designed to reduce behavioral risk factors, substance abuse, alcohol/binge drinking, smoking cessation, depression, and encourage healthy activities).
- Environmental Fund: $1,700. Funds available for grants for projects that improve or create methods of enhancing natural resources in the region.
- Fine Arts Fund: $1,900. Funds available for grants for projects in the area of theatrical, musical and performing arts.
- Health Care Fund: $1,400. Funds available for grants for programs involved in prevention, primary physical health care, educational and other health related services.
- Homeless Prevention Fund: $2,000. Funds available for grants for programs which provide assistance to people in need to prevent loss of homes.
- Kellogg Youth Fund: $10,600. Funds available are available for granting to applicants from the Iron Mountain/Kingsford Area by the Iron Mountain/Kingsford Youth Advisory Committee (YAC's) for youth related programs.
The foundation has also announced that an additional $30,160 in grant funds will be paid out to the following Dickinson area non-profit agencies: Air Lifeline, Camp Batawagama, Champion Romney (DICSA), Almost Home Animal Shelter, NorthPointe, Dickinson County Hospital Community Fund, Dickinson County Hospital Capital Fund and Salvation Army who have established agency funds with the Dickinson Area Community Foundation.
Earnings in the individual organizations' agency funds are disbursed annually to the designated agency or organization, in accordance with the Dickinson Area Community Foundation spending policy.
In addition, the Dickinson Area Community Foundation has announced that its affiliate funds - the Norway Area Community Foundation and the Crystal Falls Community Foundation - will also be funding field of interest and agency grants in 2013.
Non-profit organizations and agencies in the Norway and Crystal Falls communities may apply for grants in the following fields of interest:
- Norway Affiliate Fund: $4,700. These funds are available for grants for programs in the Norway community area.
- Norway Kellogg Youth Fund: $2,900. These funds are available for granting to applicants from the Norway Area by the Norway Youth Advisory Committee (YAC's) for youth related programs.
- Forest Park (MCFYP) Youth Fund: $12,800. These funds are available for granting by the Forest Park Youth Advisory Committee (YAC's) for youth related programs in the Crystal Falls area.
- Crystal Falls Community Project Fund: $400. These funds are available for granting for community projects in the Crystal Falls area.
Non-profit organizations and agencies interested in applying for any of these grant funds or require additional information should contact the Dickinson Area Community Foundation office at 774-3131 for more information or to request the appropriate application forms and instructions.
Grant Forms (Format Information Sheet, Cover Sheet and Application Form) are available on the Foundation's website at www.dickinsonareacommunityfoundation.org.
Deadline for proposals submission to the Foundation is Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013.